Thursday, June 9, 2011

I ♥ Venezia

Hey hey heyyyyyy...I'mmmmmm backkkk!

Not only back on this blog, but also back in the US... I know it's kinda lame to be updating the blog now that I'm back home, but I really want to share all these photos and stories and stuff with you and I didn't have time before. Forgive me? 

I assume if you're reading this sentence it means that you have, in fact, forgiven me and are ready to see what adventures lie in store for you in this blog post. Well buckle up kiddos, cuz I went NUTZO for Venice and started taking pictures like my life depended on it. So this is gonna be a big post. A big one. Like, it's kind of obnoxious how many photos there are in this post... 

How did I end up in Venice, taking more pictures than a frat boy takes shots? Welllll, Carolyn Fanning and I (and most other students in Europe) both had Holy Week (the week before Easter) off from our respective European universities and so we decided to go gallivanting around Europe. The first stop on our 4 city tour was Venice, and what a good start it was!  I immediately fell in love with the place, its charming canals, its quiet streets, its stately churches, ITS GELATO (omg don't even get me started on my gelato addiction...by the end of the trip, I was like one scoop away from injecting the stuff directly into my bloodstream...). In fact, I think I can safely say that Venice is my second favorite European city, after Paris of course.

But enough with all the chatter. Let's get down to business. 

Carolyn loves Venice

These masks were everywhere

Everywhere.



 The. Fish.


Carolyn making Ca d'Oro look so damn good.

This is what happens when I give Carolyn my camera...

Mmmmmmore Ca d'Oro

View of the Gran Canal from Ca d'Oro


I like to take pictures of the floor.





Trapped under the stairs.
(photo by Carolyn)





 Girls Gone Wild: Venice Edition
(photos by Carolyn)




Best viewed large!

Carolyn pondering The Divine...and probably also wondering why the sign on that church looks so much like the Deathly Hallows? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Deathly_Hallows_Sign.svg

The infamous Venice Fish.




Ballin'. Naturally.

 View from the Rialto Bridge (best viewed large!)

Italy has digustingly large Easter eggs.





MUFFIN-FLAVORED GELATO!?!? IT'S LIKE EVERYTHING I LOVE IN LIFE IN ONE PLACE. I LOVE ITALY.

More food.

Carolina loves churches



Masquerade! 


Carolyn's obviously the Queen of Churches (see above photos), but I don't mind a good religious establishment every now and then.
(photo by Carolyn)


Easter makes Italy crazy.




I think my favorite part of this photo is the guy underneath who is just lovin' the architecture!


Church of Santa Maria della Salute


What would Señora say?




The Chiesa dei Gesuiti (Church of the Jesuits) had of the most spectacular church interiors I have ever seen -- and I've seen a lot of churches!

So on our last day in Venice, we decided to leave the city to see some of the tiny islands around it. The first we went to was Burano, an island about 4.5 miles from Venice that is famous for it's brightly colored houses.



Coolest bug ever!

The next island we went to was called Torcello. It was smaller than Burano and had very few inhabitants, although apparently it once held the largest population in the Republic of Venice (thanks, Wikipedia!). It was pretty, but there wasn't all that much to see there...



We returned to Venice that evening and I managed to snap a few final shots before we left the next morning for our next city...




 So as some of you may know, I'm part Italian and my father's family is from Vittorio Veneto, a town not far from Venice, so when my dad heard I would be visiting Venice, he asked me to look and see if there were any DaDalts in the phonebook (it's not a very common last name, so we can be pretty sure that anyone who has it is related to us...). I did and I found one woman, Caterina DaDalt and looked up her address. We went to the address listed and sure enough, we found this on the door, which I thought was awesome. We rung her bell but she wasn't home so I left a note with my name and contact info under the door, so hopefully she'll be in touch soon!



View from the Rialto at night. Breathtaking, no?

I'm not going to tell you where we went next...you'll find out in the next post, which really should be coming soon cuz I'm not running around Paris being fabulous anymore. Now I'm just in Newton, being...lame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment