Saturday, June 25, 2011

Barça!

After my fabulous and epic journey across Europe with my partner-in-crime, Ms. Carolyn Fanning, one might assume that I would need a short break, some time to rest my weary feet before continuing on my travels. One would be wrong. No, dear reader, my tireless and adventuresome spirit required no rest at all and I journeyed the very next weekend to Barcelona to visit my friend Marie (who you met a few posts ago...).

Barcelona is a very hip place. As some or most of you probably already know, Barcelona is famous for its unusually whimsical architecture, which is largely the work of a man named Antoni Gaudí, a Catalan hero and the father of Catalan Modernism. His buildings lend the city a very alternative and avante-garde sort of feel. In fact, I sort of got the feeling that Barcelona wore its uniqueness almost defiantly, as if challenging the rest of Europe to question its unconventionality. Barcelona's unique feel as a city though is also surely due, at least in part, to its location. Catalunya, the autonomous region of Spain where Barcelona is located, is fiercely independent and proud of its unique language, culture, and heritage, and thus it only makes sense that its crown jewel, Barcelona, would embody that same sense of independence and cultural pride.

I don't think I've ever written that much about a city. Let's get to some photosss!

 Those of you who saw the London post know of my longstanding belief that tourists should always familiarize themselves with the local mailboxes.

 Some cheerful graffiti

 Inside La Seu Catedral in the Barri Gòtic, the city's Gothic Quarter

 A candy store. Cuz sometimes we all just need a few happy pills.


 Parc de la Ciudadella



I took a picture with the wooly mammoth!
(best viewed large!)

 Getting up there was something of a struggle though...

So was gettin' down...

 Streccccccccccccccch




(best viewed large)





 View from the top of Sagrada Familia

 House in Parc Güell















 Obama Restaurant?
 
 A protest on Barcelona's Labor Day (May 1)
(photo by Marie Tanaka)

 Dreams do come true!!
(thanks Miki!)


 Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya (affectionately known by the locals as MNAC)


 Cool-ass graffiti

No comments:

Post a Comment